Betta-Than-Feta Summer SaladPosted: July 17, 2010
Well hello, everyone!
I’m writing this in the quintessential summer setting: Poolside, underneath a row of palm trees, sun beaming overhead…this is my kind of summer Saturday! I’m about ready to dive into Sylvia Plath’s The Bell Jar for the second time – it’s such a complex and captivating novel and right up my alley for a beach read!
Would you take a look at the size of this head of Green Leaf Lettuce?
You know as well as I do that such a purchase can only mean one thing…
Betta-than-Feta Summer Salad
- Massive bed of Green Leaf Lettuce (I ate this straight out of a hugenormous 2.5 liter mixing bowl – wimpy little ceramic bowls just don’t cut it anymore!)
- 3 tablespoons of vegan feta (recipe below)
- 5-6 sliced Roma tomatoes
- 5-6 grated baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon roasted sunflower seeds
Vegan Feta Crumbles (loosely based on this VegWeb pizza topper)
- 7 ounces (half a package) of extra-firm organic tofu, well drained (PS – in the market for a tofu press? Julie‘s giving one away!)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/8 cup EVOO
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions: Mix all marinade ingredients together; hand-crumble the tofu into small bits directly into the bowl with the liquid. Stir well and allow to soak for 2-3 hours.
This was surprisingly close to the real deal – even the briny/tangy flavor was spot-on!
Being a very texture-sensitive eater, I was unsure how the uncooked tofu would hit my palette, but it wasn’t unpleasant or slimy at all.
Obviously, it was a bit more moist than a dairy feta, but in a good way – spooning in an extra drizzle of the un-absorbed marinade was even better than a traditional dressing!
I need to go slather on more sunscreen before I turn the color of that marinade…gorgeous for food, not so gorgeous for skin 😉 See you later!
This literature geek wants to know: What is your favorite book of all time?
Also: What’s your favorite Greek/Mediterranean dish? I can just tell I’m going to be putting this “feta” into everything!