High Protein Stuffed MushroomsPosted: October 28, 2010
I feel like it’s been far too long since I’ve cooked anything for a feature post. The last several days have been a blur of bananas and salads. Not together, obviously. Because that would be gross, and I don’t eat weird combinations. Ever.
When I get hit with a whim to experiment, I get hit BIG.
Last night, stuffed mushrooms were on the agenda.
Oh, but not any stuffed mushrooms…high protein, meal in-and-of-themselves stuffed mushrooms.
I began with a simple stuffing base by rehydrating and browning 2/3 cup (dry) TVP and and lightly sautéing half an onion and three cloves of garlic (This is known in some culinary circles as the Holy Grail duo of ensuring deliciousness in any recipe.)
Over the course of a half hour, I changed my mind at least a half dozen times on how I wanted to flavor the mushrooms. Several maniacal (and a few vaguely repulsive) ideas presented themselves. My better judgment kicked in and vetoed sweet relish and mashed yam variations, but four versions each sounded so delicious that I ended up making a handful of each!
- Spicy Deli Style (Horseradish Mustard + Pepper)
- Zesty Hummus Style (Roasted Red Hummus + Paprika)
- Italian Style: (Organic Marinara + Parmesan cheese)
- Simple Steak Style: (A1 Garlic Herb Marinade)
One big, happy fungi family!
A lil’ oven time for good measure…
Yes, dear roommate, I was indeed photographing my food…No, I did not offer an explanation because really, there is none that makes me sound relatively sane…
Naturally, I had to sample one of each after a quick spin in the oven!
The Italian version was the absolute BEST (dare I say the same applies for their men and their designers?). The hummus variation was a perfect blend of creamy and chewy, and the spicy mustard lost most of its spiciness but retained just enough to hint at the horseradish. The steak marinade – while tasty – was overshadowed by the other three.
High-Protein Stuffed Mushrooms (Makes 5 of each)
- Italian Version: 3/4 cup TVP stuffing (recipe below); 5 teaspoons marinara sauce; 1 1/2 teaspoon grated parmeasan cheese; sprinkling of basil
- Spicy Deli Style: 3/4 cup TVP stuffing; 1 tbsp deli mustard with horseradish; sprinkling of pepper
- Zesty Hummus Style: 3/4 cup TVP stuffing; 1 tbsp roasted red pepper hummus; sprinkling of paprika
- Simple Steak Style: 3/4 cup TVP stuffing; 2 tablespoons A1 Garlic Herb All-Purpose Marinade
Combine ingredients for desired variation in a large bowl. Stem and peel mushrooms and pack the wet stuffing into the empty cavity. Sprinkle top with the spice. Place on tin foiled baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
High Protein Stuffing:
- 2/3 cup (dry measurement) TVP
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- drizzling of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine TVP + water and set aside for five minutes. Over low heat, sauté garlic and onion in EVOO. In a separate pan, add a dash of olive oil to the rehydrated TVP and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until browned. Add salt and pepper during the browning process.
Now I’m off for my run! Have a wonderful evening!