Savory Sweet Potato Buckwheat PattiesPosted: November 14, 2010
Hallo foodies and football fiends!
What I’d like to do: Crab about today’s game being blacked out.
What I’m going to do: Listen to the game on the radio and drown my misery in savory sweet potato buckwheat patties.
Since North Carolina (home of the Panthers) is the number one producer of sweet potatoes in the United States, it seemed only natural to whip up a lunch with the vitamin-C laden beauties for today’s post on eating my way through the NFL.
Savory Sweet Potato Buckwheat Patties
Vegan, Gluten-Free, makes five patties
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 green onion
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Bake sweet potato; cool and remove skin.
- Chop onions; combine with all spices, olive oil, and potato in a large bowl.
- Mash until thoroughly combined.
- Form patties and press seeds into the top. Sprinkle with additional garlic salt if desired.
- Drop patties onto a tin-foil lined baking sheet; bake 15-20 minutes at 400* or until patties are browned on the outsides.
Just like a perfectly done cookie, these patties are a bit gooey on the inside but chewy and browned on the outside. The seeds on the top add the perfect bit of crunch!
While most of my football buddies would choose pizza and wings over these as a halftime munchie, I thought these were a fun alternative to traditional game day food…and anything I can dip in honey mustard is good in my book!
How’d your team do? We swept the Panthers – for a crap team, the Bucs are doing decently this season! This makes me verrrrrrry happy 🙂