Ten Minute Mild Vegan CurryPosted: November 30, 2010
In an ideal world, I’d have nothing to do all day but create and blog about healthy, hearty recipes. Unfortunately, since I have yet to receive an offer to become Peyton Manning’s personal chef/adoring stay-at-home-fan, I’m hanging onto my day job and squeezing in cooking whenever time permits.
Some days, that time is a lot less prevalent than others. Luckily, that doesn’t have to translate into Burger King or skipped meals.
Ten Minute Mild Vegan Curry
Sauce adapted from Cooks.com
Vegan, serves three.
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 3/4 cup Lite coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1.5 tablespoons curry powder
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Smart Balance Light
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 15 ounce can baby corn
- 1 8 ounce can water chestnuts
- 1 8 ounce can bamboo shoots
- 1 GoGo Organic brown instant rice bowl
- In a large saucepan, melt SBL; stir in flour and spices. Add milks and combine, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, microwave your rice bowl and open/drain veggies.
- Dump veggies into sauce; stir together and simmer for two minutes.
- Plate rice and ladle curry over top. Enjoy and get on with your life!
While I love a good, spicy curry, this was a terrific mild version for those with an aversion to strong flavors. I think next time I’ll be throwing in some cayenne for some extra zip.
Cashews or almonds would be delicious sprinkled over the top for some crunch and protein!
Far better than a Toxic Hell Taco Bell burrito, no?
Off to the gym with The Coach! I’m making him take his first yoga class – should be interesting 😉