Spicy Quinoa StewPosted: January 25, 2011
I know what you’re thinking.
“Girl, that don’t like like stew to me…”
Oh, but it is.
Stew: A method of cooking by which food is barely covered with liquid and simmered slowly for a long period of time in a tightly covered pot – Epicurious,com
If Epicurious say it’s a stew, then it’s a stew, dammit.
One bite and you’ll be so enamored with the flavors and textures, you won’t care what it’s called as long as you’ve got a nice, full plate of it in front of you!
Spicy Quinoa Stew
Vegan, Serves 2-3
- 1/2 cup red quinoa
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots (approx 1 dozen baby carrots)
- 1 can low sodium veggie broth
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Pour veggie broth into a medium sized pot and bring to a boil.
- Add quinoa; cover and return to low heat, allowing quinoa to cook for 5 minutes.
- Chop cauliflower and carrots into small pieces – add into mixture.
- Toss in your spices, re-cover and continue to cook over very low heat for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water as necessary to keep the stew from burning and/or sticking to the pot.
- Drop in spinach, simmer for five more minutes.
- Serve warm!
A single serving of this quinoa and veggie stew nets you 11 grams of protein and 14 grams of fiber, but if you’re anything like me, you’ll be jonesing for seconds!