Maple-Cinnamon Glazed Tofu and Green BeansPosted: February 5, 2011
As I slowly came out of my morning stupor, it dawned on me: I’d wasted a perfectly wonderful maple-syrup guzzling opportunity when I opted for butter instead of the sweet stuff on my pancake breakfast.
However, regret is not a word in my vocabulary, so to offset the travesty of a missed opportunity, I decided on a sizzurp-infused lunch. And let’s face it, an Asian-inspired meal with a maple component is much more exciting than pancakes with syrup.
A vegan source of protein? Vitamin-packed greens? A perfect blend of flavors and textures? Check, check, and triple check.
Sorry, pancakes. There are better things to maple-ize.
Maple-Cinnamon Glazed Tofu and Green Beans
Vegan, serves two
- 1 package extra-firm organic tofu
- 3/4 pound fresh green beans
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- (Optional, for garnish) sesame seeds
- Press your tofu and slice into one-inch cubes
- Rinse your green beans and snap the ends, enjoy the therapeutic cracking noise each time you remove a tip.
- Dry-fry (sans oil) the tofu over medium heat.
- In your choice of cooking liquid, sautee’ green beans until just barely tender. The crispiness makes the meal!
- SIn a small saucepan, combine broth, maple syrup, lemon juice, and cinnamon, stirring over medium heat until warm.
- Slowly add in corn starch, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens into a glaze.
- Plate your green beans and drizzle half the glaze over the top.
- Drop your tofu cubes into the saucepan with the remainder of the glaze and stir until equally covered. Plate and cover with sesame seeds if so desired!
The cinnamon added an unexpectedly mellow dimension to the maple tofu, while the crispy green beans mixed perfectly with the sweet and salty glaze.
Perfection may overrated, but who says you can’t come close?
Enjoy your weekends, loves. Lots of things to work on after lounging in bed all morning!