Curried Coconut Mango RicePosted: March 2, 2011
Let’s have a quick chat about the B word.
As little as I like the word (and like the concept even less) I do like having a roof over my head, and I’m quite also fond of electricity. You know, the little things in life. Little things that can suck up not-so-little chunks of money.
While I’m not able to tell you how to cut down your monthly rent, I am able to tell you how to assemble delicious yet wholesome meals on the cheap. Despite the pricey meat substitutes and organics on the market, it’s entirely possible to eat clean, vegetarian meals without breaking the bank!Yes, cheap vegetarian food does exist – and no, it doesn’t entail Taco Bell bean burritos.
For my upcoming original recipes, keep your eye out for a budget breakdown at the bottom of each post, as well as a new page categorizing all the $5 or less meals!
To kick off the series, let’s take a peek at a surprisingly cheap dinner with an even more surprising flavor explosion: Curried Coconut Mango Rice.
You say you want something salty, a tad spicy, and with a subtle dash of sweet?
This dish has it all – and for less than $2 per serving at that!
The light coconut undertones perfectly counter the rich curry flavor, and the juicy, succulent mango adds an extra touch of sweetness. Between the fluffy rice, chewy raisins, crunchy peanuts, and soft mangoes and onions, there’s no shortage of texture in the dish either!
Coconut Curried Mango Rice
Vegan, Serves Two
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup (dry) brown rice
- 1 large ripe mango
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) raisins
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil; add rice, cover and move to low heat. Allow to cook for 45 minutes total.
- Peel and dice your mango and onion.
- When rice is 10 minutes from being finished, warm the coconut oil in a medium saucepan. Add your onion, salt and curry powder, stirring often until cooked all the way through.
- Add mango to saucepan, stir and remove from heat.
- Drain and plate rice; top with curry and garnish with raisins and peanuts.
|Brown Rice ($3/16 ounces)||$1.00|
|Mango (on sale at Fresh Market)||$ 0.50|
|Coconut Oil ($4/16 ounces)||$0.25|
|Curry Powder ($3/4 ounces)||$0.10|
|Total Budget Breakdown||$3.60/2 servings ($1.80 per serving)|
See you all tomorrow!
What’s your favorite inexpensive vegetarian meal?