Cool Garden Veggie QuinoaPosted: March 3, 2011
Back in middle school, all the cool kids brought Cooler Ranch Doritos in their lunches. Every time my mother went grocery shopping, I begged, pleaded and promised never ever ever to ask for anything again if only we could purchase one bag of the tangy crisps.
Let’s fast forward approximately a decade.
I haven’t touched Doritos in years, but out of nowhere, yesterday I suddenly got the craving for the zesty snack food. After a short stroll down the spice and veggie aisles of Publix, however, I had a far better idea to channel the craving…
Cool Garden Veggie Quinoa ditches the chemical-laden chip ingredients but brings the same flavorful zip of Cooler Ranch Doritos to a protein and vitamin-packed meal.
The irresistible creaminess and garden-herb explosion take this quick, easy vegetarian lunch to an amazing level.
Cool Garden Veggie Quinoa
Vegetarian, makes one (large!) serving
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) cream cheese
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup (dry) red quinoa
- 1/2 cup chopped baby carrots
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a rolling boil. Add quinoa, cover, and reduce to low heat.
- While the quinoa cooks (approx 10-15 minutes), chop your veggies. When the quinoa is halfway cooked – i.e. still chewy yet not entirely tough – dump in the carrots. When the quinoa has around 3 minutes left to cook, drop in the diced green pepper.
- When all the water is absorbed and quinoa is tender, stir in your cream cheese and spices.
- Serve warm or cold, whichever your taste buds prefer!
|Cream Cheese ($3/8 ounces)||$1.50|
|Red Quinoa ($3/16 ounces)||$0.75|
|Green Pepper ($1.99/lb)||$0.40|
|Total Budget Breakdown||$3.70/serving|
Belly-friendly and budget friendly – now that’s my kind of lunch!
What was your favorite chip – or other snack – in grade school?