Sweet and Savory Brown Sugar LentilsPosted: April 2, 2011
Good morning and Happy Saturday! I’m feeling so much more sane after some technology-free time after work on Friday. Even though I worked on some assignments after I left the office, I still got to enjoy a nice, relaxing dinner with The Coach and some mutual friends at Orlando’s Bikkuri Sushi. The quality was average, but we certainly got our fill the for the price!
Yesterday I left you with a teaser for “the most incredible lentil dish I’ve ever made.”
I still stand behind my claim.
Did I mention that it also qualifies for Vegetarian on a Budget, costing just $1.38 per serving?
This dish was a warm, comforting blend of sweetness and subtle spices with just a touch of complexity to keep my taste buds on edge.
I certainly didn’t walk away complaining about the 27 grams of vegan, plant-based protein either!
Sweet and Savory Brown Sugar Lentils
Vegan, Serves Two
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup (raw) spinach
- 2/3 cup (dry) red lentils
- 1/2 cup shredded baby carrots
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (I used Smart Balance Light)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp salt
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a rolling boil. Add lentils, cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the lentils simmer, crush and chop your garlic. Did you know that the bulb has anti-cancer properties that are released by chemical reactions that occur after the bulb is damaged? If you cook the garlic before the chemical reaction is finished, though, the enzymes aren’t released. If you’re in the mood for more biochemical geekiness, feel free to read more about it in the article I wrote for work!
- Add carrots and spinach to the pot, cover again and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in butter and seasonings. Serve warm!
If you happen to be a more patient soul than I am, when the flavors have time to mellow together, the dish becomes even more flavorful; however, for those (like me!) who have the self-restraint of a two year old, it tastes equally phenomenal straight from the pot!
|Organic Red Lentils ($4/1 lb bag)||$0.50|
|Organic Spinach ($4/16 oz bag)||$1.00|
|Shredded Carrots (single serving from Whole Foods salad Bar)||$0.75|
|Smart Balance Light ($3/15 oz)||$0.20|
|Brown Sugar ($1.25/1 lb bag)||$0.10|
|Total Budget Breakdown||$2.75/2 servings (1.38 per serving)|
Have a wonderful weekend!