Chickpea and Blueberry Barley SaladPosted: May 2, 2011
On Friday, I received an email with a recipe for blueberry chickpea burgers. The combination was just odd enough to be intriguing, and just unique enough to stick in my head all weekend.
Instead of taking the burger route, I combined the two featured elements in a light, refreshing, simple spring salad.
Chickpea and Blueberry Barley Salad
Vegetarian (with Vegan option)
- 1 cup cooked/rinsed chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup (dry) pearled barley
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2 teaspoons honey (vegan substitution: agave nectar)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 t/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- In a medium pot, bring 2-3 cups of water to a boil. Once the water has reached a rolling boil, add the barley, cover the pot, reduce to low heat and allow to simmer until fully cooked and tender.
- While the barley cooks, shell the chickpeas, rinse the blueberries and chop the cucumber into small slivers.
- In a small cup or dish, combine the honey/agave, olive oil and lemon juice.
- Drain and rinse the barley and combine with blueberries, chickpeas and cucumber.
- Drizzle the dressing over the top, stir and chill.
The dish was sweet, light and packed full of vegetarian protein and fiber – exactly what spring lunches call for!
Have you ever been so intrigued by an odd-sounding ingredient combination that you just had to try it?