Frosted Vegan Apple BreadPosted: May 16, 2011
One would assume that when I go to photograph and blog about a recipe that yields 12 individual servings, you would get to see all 12 pieces.
If two people can demolish nine of the squares within a 10 hour time frame, I’ll take that as a compliment 😉
They may not be pretty – but this may have something to do with our eagerness to dig into the cake. It came out of the oven smelling so incredible that all resistance was futile!
Frosted Vegan Apple Bread
Ingredients (for cake):
- 1 large apple
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup walnut or pecan pieces
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal + 2 tbsp water)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
Ingredients (for frosting)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp almond milk or other vegan milk
- 1 tsp Earth Balance or other vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a small dish, combine flax and water, stir and set in refrigerator for 5 minutes or until gelled.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- In a large bowl, mix together apple sauce, sugar, vanilla extract and flax egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Stir dry mixture into wet.
- Chop apple into fine cubes and stir into mixture along with the nuts.
- Pour into greased 9 by 5 dish and bake for 50 minutes (or until inserted knife comes out clean).
- Allow the cake to cool for at least an hour. In the meantime, stir together frosting ingredients. If necessary, add additional powdered sugar to thicken the mixture.
- Remove cake from dish. Slice, frost and serve.
What’s your go-to baked good when you’re trying to impress?